Wednesday, September 24, 2008

GC Asia 2008

Over the weekend, I went to the Games Convention Asia 2008 at Suntec City. The convention seems smaller than what it usually is but I liked it as the area was full of demos and games for you to try. The way I like my games conventions. I mean what’s the reason for games convention if it isn’t to entice customers with demos?

Of the many games on hand there, there were 2 which really interest me; Warhammer: Age of Reckoning and Spore. I did look at the other games there but these 2 are the ones that I really try out.

First off was Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, better known as WAR. The game itself seems nice enough. Graphics and gameplay were good and solid. There’s a good range of races and class for you to choose, and the Warhammer setting is always interesting. Unfortunately, WAR is also a shameless rip-off of WoW (World of Warcraft).

In fact, I would even call WAR ‘WoW Version 2.0’. The gameplay and overall look of the game is similar to WoW, which I guess isn’t a bad thing considering how successful WoW is, but more refine. The graphics is slightly better, the PvP is much better, and the Tome of Knowledge was great. But after playing it, I can’t help but think of WoW. If you in for PvP, then WAR is the game for you; if not, you can flip a coin and decide between WAR or WoW. There’s no real difference.

I was much more impressed with Spore. The reviews of the game were decidedly mixed but I enjoy the game. Granted I only tried parts of the game, but I liked it. The game might be over hyped, but it’s fun. The cell stage was a blast and when your spore comes out of the water onto dry land…Hooray!!!! The creature, tribal and civ stage isn’t much to shout about but the space stage looks huge.

It was a fun game. I think I’ll buy that.

No comments: