Singapore's prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong, will earn five times more than U.S. President George Bush this year after a pay rise that will take his annual salary to S$3.1 million. Other Singapore government ministers (who are already among the best paid in the world) will also see their salaries jump by about 60 percent.
Why is it so high? The answer is simple,
- Singapore is 5 times bigger than America
- Singapore is 5 times richer than America
- Singapore is 5 times more powerful than America
- Singapore is 5 times more important than America
- Singapore's leaders are 5 times better tham America's (with Bush that may actually be true)
Not only is our prime minister's pay 5 times better than Bush, it is also six times more than Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. Why? Because Singapore aim to be the best, and paying our leaders more is something we will beat them at. Who cares if other countries aim for pay cuts for their leaders; who cares if Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore's first prime minister and father of our current prime minister, was paid 'peanuts' and still had huge success; who cares if even our Southeast Asian neighbours are laughing at us; who cares if I (and every other Singaporeans) never had a 60 percent increase in pay; who cares...ah forget it.