Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Music Slump

Now I’m not a huge fan of music. I don’t go out and buy the CDs or download the songs of my favorite singers or bands the moment they come out, in fact, I don’t really have a favorite singer or band at the moment.

However even I know the music industry is in the dumps right now in America. The reason usually given is that most fans don’t buy CDs, but instead download pirated songs on the internet. I have a better theory. The music industry is in the dumps because there’s just nothing to get excited about!

At the MTV Video Music Awards, the biggest winner was Lady Gaga and Best New Artist was teen idol Justin Bieber. Seriously, are these two overproduced “musicians” really names that would get music fans all excited? When I was in my teens, we had Nirvana and grunge. In my 20s, we had bands like Blur and Oasis. You know, bands that are actually known for their music!

Now Lady Gaga is actually a pretty good performer on stage, but she is more known for her fashion sense than her music and Bieber is more known for his looks than anything else. Yet these 2 are the biggest winners of the night at the VMA! No wonder the music industry is in the toilet.

No comments: