Friday, September 24, 2010

Product Placement Hell

Yesterday I just saw the first episode in the latest season of Amazing Race Asia. At least I “think” it is an episode of Amazing Race Asia, because with all the product placement in the show, I have a hard time telling!

As a rule, I don’t watch reality shows. I may watch a few episodes of American Idol now and then, some Deadliest Catch when I have nothing to do, but that’s about it. The sole reality show that I make time to watch is The Amazing Race.

However the latest season of The Amazing Race and Amazing Race Asia seems more like an advertiser’s wet dream than a true competition. In the past seasons, we have competitors running around the world as they tried to complete tasks in strange, exotic locations.

Now, we are force-fed products placement that has almost nothing to do with the race. Last night while watching Amazing Race Asia, I saw product placement for Sony, a cruise line, and even a lousy TV cartoon show! All so jarring, I find that I am unable to enjoy the race!

And it’s not just Amazing Race Asia! This is a problem faced by the latest season of The Amazing Race as well. It was no surprise to me when it lost the Emmy for “Best Reality Show” because how can any viewers enjoy the show when they have product placements in their faces all the time?

Answer: They can’t!

No comments: