Monday, September 12, 2011

Yes, It's Ugly But...




In case you are wondering, this is Miss Singapore 2011 Valerie Lim wearing her Singapore “costume” at the Miss Universe 2011 contest in Brazil this year. As you expect, a lot of Singaporeans are unhappy about the costume, saying that this dress does not represent Singapore.

Let me make this clear first; this is one ugly dress! Usually I couldn’t care less about cloths but this dress look more like a carpet than a dress so I totally agree that this dress is ugly.

Having said that; I do not understand why Singaporeans are saying this dress does not represent Singapore. Does Singapore have an official dress/uniform/costume accepted by normal Singaporeans? The answer is "No", so why can’t this dress be the Singapore costume?

We don’t have a national costume so the designers decided that this will be the national costume. Fair enough to me and besides...keep your shirt on people, who cares about a beauty contest?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will have a national costume(dress) when Sin becomes a nation.
When will it be?
Maybe never.

Ghost said...

To me, it's just a costume and a beauty contest. I do believe that a nation need to have a costume to become a nation. It's a different thing altoghter.