Saturday, March 3, 2007

Comics this week

Picked up #11 of Marvel’s Civil War Frontline, and that's it for the Civil War. About time too! I already said what I'm going to say about the ending of Civil War, the ending of Frontline is better...slightly. However, the series was about 2-3 issues too long and I can't shake the feeling that the series was more cashcow than reading material.

Silent War is another Marvel series that's failed to match expectations. I mean, a war between the Inhumans and America. How can you mess that up? Answer: No fighting for the first 2 issues. Yes; for a mini-series about a war, there's not a lot of fighting in the series. Even a meeting between Black Bolt and Sentry became a stare-down than a fight. I don't think too many people will last another 3 issues of stare-downs, I can't!

As Civil War & Silent War are Marvel's response to DC's smash hit Infinite Crisis, I think it's safe to say that DC got the better of the match-up. If anyone question that, I suggest he pick up 52. The DC weekly shows the 52 weeks missing in One Year later, and it WORKS. I wasn't sure it could at the beginning but it WORKED! Showing how the DC world cope without a year of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman was risky, but 52 was great! OK, some of the storylines didn't quite work (Batwoman?) but overall it was very interesting. Black Adam, The Question, Animal Man; second-tier chacters who became highly interesting thanks to this series. So much so that DC already have another weekly in place to replace 52 when it end. Hopefully, the ending of 52 will match the series so far.

No comments: