Saturday, January 31, 2009

Comics this week

Final Crisis #7- Goods news: After months of delay, Final Crisis #7 comes out just 2 weeks after Final Crisis #6. Bad news: I have no idea what Grant Morrison is writing about. After a thrill ride of #6, Final Crisis #7 makes no sense! I’m all for the high end concept of Morrison’s writing, but the end result needs to make sense. This doesn’t! I know I haven’t been keeping up with the Superman series but since when did Superman’s X-ray eyes able to do DNA analysis? And his “I only look at the Miracle Machine for a few seconds but I tried to remember every nuts and bolts and I will rebuilt it and bring everyone back” moment. Superman has a photographic memory? Is this still Superman? Barry Allen running through time and space to outrun the Black Racer so that he can lure the Black Racer to Darkseid and kill the fallen god. It read as confusing as it sounds. And don’t even get me start on the last scene with Bruce Wayne in pre-historic times. Final Crisis end with a big question mark.

Reign in Hell #7- The most under-rated miniseries on the market race to its end as Satanus has firmly defeated Neron. With the war all but over, all the do-gooders now have to race out of hell. Not an easy thing to do when Satanus has close off hell. With only one exit out of hell, everyone is racing to the realm of Purgatory. A race against time with the rulers of hell on their backs? Seems that #8 will be fun.

Nova #21- I guess it’s inevitable. After 20 great issues, there is bound to be a bad issue. This is that bad issue. I know Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are in charge of everything cosmic in the Marvel Universe, but maybe they have too much on their plate right now. AKA, I think maybe they are too busy with the upcoming War of Kings to concentrate on their regular series. This issue seems to be a rush job and that’s something a great series like Nova do not need or deserved.

No comments: