Friday, January 29, 2010

How Does That Benefit Me?

The Singapore Ministry of Health has announced that the Singapore government is going to reduce health subsidies given to Singapore permanent residents (PRs) by 10% this year and another 10% in 2011. This comes after a recent increase in school fees for PRs and foreigners studying in local schools (another stupid move).

All these moves have me scratching my head because I cannot see the logic of all these moves by the Singapore government. It’s “seems” that these political moves are the Singapore government’s way of responding to complaints of Singaporeans about the amount of foreigners living in Singapore. However if it is, then the Singapore government is going about it the wrong way.

I mean the cost of living in Singapore is high but having higher prices for non-Singaporeans doesn’t help Singaporeans. If I have to take a 25 year loan to buy a HDB flat, does it help me in any way shape or form that my PR neighbor is taking a 30 year loan to buy the flat?

No, it does not. I am looking for something that benefit me, not something that screws my neighbour. Even if he is a PR!

3 comments:

MM SZ said...

Linked under, 'Immigration'. Due to time constraints, singazine may not be able to include a comment to notify you of the link, but rest assured, your posts of relevance will certainly be included. Cheers:)

Ghost said...

Thanks but there's no need to notify me of the link.

Gila Babi said...

As usual, this PAP govt shows its complete lack of concern about the welfare of its own people. Because if it is to reduce fees for its citizens, then the govt is going to take a loss. And that must never, ever happen. On the other hand, increasing fees for PRs means the govt can make more money, while fooling us into thinking that they actually care for us.