Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Nighttime Shutdown

South Korea is known to be the capital of MMOs. So much so that video game addiction among Korean citizens is a major problem in Korea, especially among the young. Now the Korean government intends to do something about it.

The Korean Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism has introduced a policy called "nighttime shutdown". Directed at for underage players, this is an enforced six hour blackout time starting at midnight, 1:00 am, or 2:00 am; the player can choose the starting time.

Basically, once the PC clock reached this time, their internet access will shut down for at least six hour. This is to prevent players from playing all-nighters and make them go to sleep.

Frankly I think this is a great idea. I don’t for a second believe in the nonsense that is ‘video game addiction’ but these video game ‘addicts’ are giving video games a bad name. I’m a gamer myself and I never had any problem turning off my PC, but for those who do, I’m all for forcing them to turn off their PC.

No comments: