Thursday, July 14, 2011

What An Idiot!

No man in Singapore enjoys National Service (NS). That’s just a simple fact. For me personally, my 2 years of NS consist of doing what I need to, keep my head down and do my time.

Now I know that some people just “stand” NS. I don’t really understand why but to each his own. However I think even the most die-hard haters of NS has to laugh at the 18-year-old recruit who tried to “escape” from Pulau Tekong by swimming to the Singapore mainland.

The joker, who is from Raffles Institution, was doing his BMT (Basic Military Training) on Pulau Tekong when for some reason he decided to swim to Singapore. He was spotted and quickly picked up by the Police Coast Guard.

I couldn’t believe it when I read this and it seems I wasn’t the only one. Seriously; to swim from Tekong to Singapore? The guy has a better chance of reaching Malaysia than Singapore from Tekong! What an idiot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank him for showing his true self and sincere feeling for conscription, National Service that is. It is a common sentiment.
Must also admire him for the gut to cross the channel between the two tiny islands.
Cannot recall anyone has done it before, it takes gut.

LST said...

NS should be reduced to a year. You are right no one believes in NS and many think its a waste of time. How do I know? Just give parents and their sons the option of doing NS. We all know what the response will be.

Sporeans are a sad lot. We passively sit and watch this ruling party steal 2 years from the lives of our sons. We do everything in our power to ensure our sons do well in school but do nothing to prevent our sons from throwing away 2 years of their lives. We must be the most bo chap people in the world.

Ghost said...

Singaporean are hardly bo chap my friend. We are maybe the least bo chap people in the world.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's because I'm not a very good swimmer but I can't remember any BMT training on Tekong(circa. 1984) that would be more siong than swimming the strait between Tekong and Singapore island. Lots of currents, I imagine. Kid must have some problems, eh? - Lau Peng