Saturday, August 18, 2012

Comics this week

Green Lantern #12- I have said before that I’m not the biggest fan of Black Hand. The villain just never clicked with me. So you can guess how good a job writer Geoff Johns did this issue by making me actually care about the character. The shock and conflict of Black Hand when the Book of the Black revealed its latest prophecy was so intense that I can’t wait to read Green Lantern Annual #1 in 2 weeks time to see where this is going. Even better was the threat showed by the Guardians to the other Corps. It was a simple page but sometimes those are the best; Simple but powerful.

Bloodshot #2- I loved the #1 of this series because writer Duane Swierczynski managed to combine several genres into an enjoyable story. In #2, things seem to be back to the normal Bloodshot of old. Basically, it’s a case of Bloodshot killing enemies by the truckload with minimum fuss. It was for this reason why I was never a fan of the character in the old Valiant Universe, so I am slightly worried about the direction of the series after this issue. I’ll probably collect the first arc and then see where it’ll go but Swierczynski need to maintain the espionage/military/sci-fi angle for this series to work. Having Bloodshot killing faceless enemies after enemies is just not going to work in the long run.

Harbinger #3- To say Peter Stanchek is a flawed hero would be an understatement. Luckily, writer Joshua Dysart had maintained the flaws of the character and that is great. Let’s admit it; reading the story of a hero with a chip on his shoulder is far better than reading about one without. And Faith; what the hell happened to you?

No comments: