Friday, October 19, 2012

Comics this week


Justice League #13- This issue of Justice League focuses heavily on Wonder Woman and her conflict with the villain The Cheetah. Writer Geoff Johns gave Cheetah a detailed background story in an effort to make her more interesting. It worked mainly due to artist Tony Daniel’s great artwork which makes me forget all about Jim Lee. What I am disappointed on was the way the issue paper over the kiss by Superman and Wonder Woman last issue. The closest we came to having any follow-up on the kiss was Superman’s, “It was a kiss, not a commitment” comment. I’m sorry but talk about being anti-climactic. However I do enjoy the backup story this issue. They didn’t forgot about Steve Trevor’s talk with Oliver Queen and it does setup nicely to JLA #1. An interesting if slightly uneven issue to the series. 

Green Lantern: The New Guardians #13- With the original team gone at the end of #12, writer Tony Bedard has decided to focus on Kyle Rayner instead of a potential new team of New Guardians. While I have no problem with the concept as a whole, I do fear that too much focus on Kyle will become a problem in the future. Take this issue for example; Kyle and Carol Ferris got Atrocitus to teach Kyle the method to harness the power of the Red Lantern. As a plot, there’s nothing wrong with the story but the focus on Kyle trying to access the Red Lantern’s rage energy just wasn’t really that interesting. Outside seeing Kyle’s cool Red Lantern uniform again, there just wasn’t anything to feel excited about. I mean does anyone truly interested in watching Kyle getting a lesson from all the lanterns corps in the ways of accessing all the energy of the emotional spectrum? I fear the answer is no.

Harbinger #5- Like I said last issue, I fear for this series. I felt last issue that the story was too similar to the original Harbinger series and #5 did not help allay my fear at all. With #5, the first story arc is over and I feel this series is less of a reboot and more of a re-telling by Joshua Dysart and Khari Evans. Just like the old Harbringer series has Peter Stanchek rebelling against Toyo Harada, with this issue things looks like they will go the exact same way. Time (and sales figures) will tell if this was the right approach to take and I hope Valiant got it right but for (old) readers like me, there’s nothing here I haven’t seen before in the original series. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahey i read your fallout 3 game of the year edition post and i was wondering if you have the game on xbox 360, would you sell it to me?

Ghost said...

Sorry but I’m a PC gamer. If you’re looking for cheap discount games for Xbox 360, maybe you can try a pawn shop at Majestic in Chinatown. They have a small collection of Xbox 360 games available.