Friday, November 30, 2012

Comics this week

Justice League Dark #14- This issue had Frankenstein, Princess Amaya and Black Orchid fumbling around in the House of Mystery and frankly…it was a bore. After the chase for the Book of Magic, the showdown against Nick Necro, writer Jeff Lemire has the new members trying to get out of a house? I mean talk about anti-climatic. I’ll say this also; I’m not convinced by the introduction of the new members of the team. Frankenstein is a science hero not a magic one and Amaya is well, a little boring. Also what the hell happened to the art? Graham Nolan and Victor Drujiniu are in charge of the art this issue and I have to wonder if the duo had a rush job on their hands. The art style changed at least 3 times this issue. Hopefully artist Mikel Janin will be back next issue. 

I, Vampire #14- In a post in the Civilian Reader, I commented that “I, Vampire” is a classic in the making. If anyone doubts that, then I strongly suggest you pick up #14. A lot is going on. Mary going from main villain to reluctant hero, introduction of Deborah Dancer, Tig helping Bennett get a new vampire follower, Bennett getting a vampire dog; yet there is no confusion whatsoever in this issue. The pacing and structure of this issue is superb! Everything was beautifully written by Joshua Hale Fialkov and marvelously drawn by Andrea Sorrentino. A classic in the making? Based on this issue, that might be an understatement. 

No comments: