Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Humans Are The Problem


Why is the Singapore government trapping and killing Singapore's long-tailed macaques? That’s the question asked as an estimated 20% of the existing wild monkeys in Singapore has been killed in the first half of the year. According to the the Agri-food and Veterinary Authority (AVA), this is done due to rising complaints from residents on Singapore’s "monkey problem".

What “monkey problem”?

I have been living near Mount Faber most of my life and I see wild monkeys all the time. I never have a problem with them. Hell, I look forward to seeing them as I jog. It’s fun to see them.

At least it is to me because I sometime happen to see people who have no idea what to do when they see a monkey. Young adults and teenagers are especially bad because some of them don’t even dare go close to the monkeys.

Honestly, Singapore does not have a “monkey problem”. We have a “humans who do not know how to interact with nature” problem. 

No comments: