Friday, January 10, 2014

Comics this week


Earth 2 #19- It just gets better and better. I admit I was a little worried when James Robinson left but Tom Taylor has taken to this series like a fish to water. Writer Tom Taylor covered a lot of ground in this issue with evil Superman destroying everything in his wake; Aquawoman, Jimmy Olsen, Red Tornado and Batman trying their best to find a way to beat evil Superman; and even another possible survivor from Krypton. All these plot development with action to boot! The only drawback I have in this issue is the array of artists taking charge here. I’m not certain about the numbers but I think there are at least 4 artists in this issue. Why would you need 4 artists for one regular sized comic? I have no idea but if you can overlook this minor drawback, this is a great issue.  

Green Lantern #27- There’s just something wonderful when a plan comes to fruition, especially when it’s the plan of the bad guys. As the good guys win 9 out 10 times, it’s fun (at least to me) to see the bad guys put together a good plan to get a win off the white hats. In this issue, Hal Jordon and the GLC got it hook, line and stinker. The set-up, the execution, and then the payoff by the Braidman was a thing of beauty. Writer Robert Venditti with artist Gale Eaglesham held nothing back in showing just how screwed Hal was by the end of the issue and I have to say both writer and artist covered themselves in glory in this issue. Venditti even managed to squeeze in a cameo for Simon Baz and B’dg! Superb!

Hinterland #4- After 3 issues of moving people about and showing off the post-apocalyptic world, writer Ian Edginton decide it’s time to turn on the tension and action. He did it well and a lot of the credit has to go to artist Francesco Trifogli. I know his style is not for everyone but I think it suits this series very well. I also like the fact that the throwaway joke of mutants 2 issues ago is coming back to haunt the characters as a bunch of maybe-immortal science mutants really did turn up. Thus far, this series has been an enjoyable ride and there's promise of more of the same. It seem DC and Vertigo has a sleeper here.

No comments: