Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Ice Hockey Confusion


Let me get this out of the way first; I know nothing about ice hockey. Born and bred in sunny Singapore, I know zero about ice hockey. I also care next to nothing about the Sochi Winter Olympics.

However I have read that Russia recently lost an ice hockey game to the Americans after a goal by Russia was disallowed. The goal was disallowed after video evidence and eventually resulted in a 3-2 shootout victory to the Americans.

Now I have no idea what the “net off the mooring” exactly means but I have a big question; why was one of the referees in the game an American?

From what I read, the decision to disallow to potential winning Russian goal was made by American referee Brad Meier. That makes no sense. This is the Olympics right? There can’t be a shortage of referees at Sochi, so why is an American referee in charge of a game where the Americans are playing?

Is that normal for international ice hockey? Hopefully one of my readers who know ice hockey can inform me because I can’t understand it at all. It's so stupid, it's unbelievable.  

No comments: