Monday, August 1, 2016

Not A Book?


Now, I'm not a huge fan of the Harry Potter series. I've seen all the movies and read most of the books, minus the last two which I heard were bad, but I can't say I'm a fan.

So maybe that's why I wasn't one of the thousands of people who queued up overnight at bookshops all around the world to get their hands on the latest Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Written by Jack Thorne and approved by JK Rowling, the book on Harry and Draco Malfoy's sons, Albus and Scorpius. Reviews have largely been negative with most saying the script of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was incomplete without seeing the show.

Wait what? What show? Upon research, I discovered Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is not really a book! It is in fact the script of a hit West End play. The show only opened last week and the book was published to allow the play to reach a wider global audience of fans. Aka, it's a cash-grab. 

I must say I am shocked by this. Everything I heard about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child called it a "book", not a script and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking this. Man, I only hope the fans who queued overnight knew what they were getting. 

No comments: