Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Beginning Of The End?

With the newest gaming console coming out, rumors about the latest PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 have not been kind to gamers. Signs are that games played on the new systems would require gamers to be connected to the Internet, have an ownership ID, and cannot be using a used copy.

The official reason for these rules is to combat the piracy of games. I say that is total bullshit!

The real reason is that video game companies want gamers to buy new games and not play on used games. It’s very simple. It’s isn't about piracy, it’s about money.

The first steps have already been taken on the PC. Games from Ubisoft now required you to be online the whole time you are playing one of their games and most games nowadays require you to have an internet connection to activate the game.

Now I’m not totally against the need of video game companies to make money which is why I do not mind buying games requiring me to have an internet connection to activate it but I draw the line on needing to connect to the internet to play a game that’s not an online game. That’s the reason why I never bought or played any of the Assassin’s Creed II games even though I enjoyed the original Assassin’s Creed.

If Sony and Microsoft put those steps in their new consoles, I foresee a lot of people will ignore the new systems and either continue playing on PS3 and Xbox 360 or go back to PC gaming. Ironically, that’s good news for me as I’m a PC gamer but that’s beside the point.

Frankly when people buy a game, people want to own it. No one wants the manufacturer to have any way to prevent them from playing the game, which is what they are doing. I believe I’m not alone in this and if Sony and Microsoft put in those steps, it will be the beginning of the end for gaming consoles.

No comments: