Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Amos Yee Is Gulity

16-year-old Amos Yee was convicted on two criminal charges yesterday. Found to have hurt religious feelings in a video likening Singapore's founding leader Lee Kuan Yew to Jesus and for posting an obscene cartoon in a blog, Yee was then released on bail.

Now Yee may have been found guilty of hurting religious feelings but let's admit it; it is his "Lee Kuan Yew is Finally Dead!" video that got him into trouble. He was one of the few Singaporeans to openly criticized Mr. Lee's legacy and he did just a few days after Mr. Lee’s death. I thought his video was stupid and totally in appropriate.

However, to bring a silly boy to court over a silly video? Sorry but that is just silly. Not only is there no reason for it, what’s worse is that the courts is giving Yee what he wants; attention.

I think Yee was gunning for attention when he put up that video, so bringing him to court is exactly giving him what he wanted. I mean the guy is now on BBC because of this court case, and to me, that is just wrong. I’m not big fan of Mr. Lee Kuan Yew, I’ve done my fair share of criticism against him, but to do it so soon after his death smacks of self-promotion.

So I ask that the court clear this case ASAP. This narcissistic boy insulted Singapore’s founding leader for attention, so don’t give him what he wants; don’t give him more attention than he already has. The sooner the case clears the courts, the sooner everyone can forgot the name Amos Yee. 

No comments: