Monday, December 14, 2015

Expectations of The Force Awakens

One week before the opening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I will play the devil advocate and say this to Star Wars fans; Guys, lower your expectations. 

Fans in America have already been lining up to see the movie and I have to worry if the movie will ever do justice to the sky high expectations of fans. Forget about the fact that the last 3 films (The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith) were the weakness of the six movies, the simple fact is that even if J.J. Abrams do a good job in The Force Awakens, it might still not be enough. 

The original Star Wars movies are now more than just films; they are cultural icons. Fair or not, that's the yardstick that The Force Awakens will be measured against. People are hoping that The Force Awakens will be the new A New Hope. Honestly, I don't think that's fair.

The original trilogy were made between 1977 to 1983; it is now 2015. Times have changed, and I do not think this new or any future Star Wars movies will ever match the original trilogy. In fact, I think it's grossly unfair to even expect the new movies to match the original films.   

Don't get me wrong; I hope it will measure up to the originals but I don't think anyone should expect it to. Guys, lower your expectations and let The Force Awakens stand on it's own. That's the only way to be fair to it.

No comments: