Monday, March 17, 2008

Why bother?

I read there had been protests around the world against the Iraqi War, and I have to wonder. "Why do they bother?"

I mean the only way to stop the war is if the Americans pull-out of Iraq right? Do you see that happening? I don't. The 3 contenders to be the next White House resident is Republican John McCain, Democrats Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton, of which only Obama has openly said he will pull-out of Iraq if he win. I mean McCain has even went to Iraq to bolster his pro-war credentials! That if anything has proven to me that the Americans aren't that interested to pull out of Iraq (which ironically could be a better thing for Singapore than America).

The main thing seems to me that Americans still have this fantasy about winning the Iraqi War. How can they? This is a war that was supposed to last a few weeks, some in the Bush White House were even claiming days, 5 years later and Americans are still dying in Iraq. By fighting for 5 years, the Iraqi people, insurgents, terrorist (whatever you want to call them), has made it a fact that they will not be beaten. This despite being outmanned, outgunned and outfunded (they say America has spent 3 trillion dollars on the war already).

America can't win this war now, even if the fighting stop tomorrow no one will accept that its' a victory for America. The best America can hope for is a honourable draw. Unless they understand and accept that, I think the war will last for a long, long time.

No comments: