Saturday, May 17, 2008

Comics this week

Guardians of the Galaxy #1- Nova was spun out of Annihilation and was a hit; can Marvel strike twice? Marvel believe it can. Guardians of the Galaxy put together some of the characters in Annihilation: Conquest in a team and let them rip. I'm not that sure this will work in the long run but Marvel do get the lineup right. The team consists of Warlock, Quasar, Drax, Gamora, Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon. An interesting assemble to say the least but I didn't like this first issue. Main problem I had was scattered chronology; the series start with them on their first mission and then jump back to when Star-Lord and Adam first put the team together. It just didn't work for me. However the duo of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning has done some great work on Nova so I'm giving them a chance. Impress me people, and this will join Nova on my 'Must-Have' list.

Project Superpowers #3- This is a series that's has me going in two directions. One; it's a good series set in a new world with heroes who are mostly interesting; or Two; it's a good picture book with a story that goes up-and-down depending on the mood of the writers. That just sum up the series for you. Great art, interesting characters, but something is just missing in the story. A nice, interesting series but it could be better.

No comments: