Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Scratching head in disbelief

Sometimes in Singapore, we will read some stories in the newspaper that caused some Singaporeans to scratch their head in disbelief. This happened to me when I read in the Strait Times that 85% of singles interviewed want to get married and 80% of married couples want to have two to three children.

Is this for real? Who did the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) interviewed for this survey? I give you that most young people I know think that they will get married one day, but most of them also don’t want to have children (especially the women). Where did they get the 80%? And this was before the credit crisis and the coming economic slowdown!

This is not to say that Baby Bonus, extended paid maternity leave are not good things, but I really doubt they are as influential as the Straits Times say they are. 80% of married couples want to have two to three children? Sorry, I’m still scratching my head on that one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please remember their current world ranking.

As always, they gave final numbers and there is no way to verify the data.

I will not even bother about it since the numbers are so incredible.

Anonymous said...

Same as what they mentioned months ago that only 10% of the hawkers increase their price.

I must be very unlucky that I always eat at those 10%.

YOU JUST CAN'T BELEIVE WHAT THEY SAID.

Ghost said...

I think they forgot a 0 when they print the 10%