Monday, May 12, 2008

Don't Bother

There are some questions recently on why a guy is old enough for NS, but isn’t old enough to vote in an election. Basically this is advocating that Singapore lowered the age for voting to 18. Here’s my take on this.

I say, “Don’t bother.” Some of you might ask why, and this is my reason. There had been 2 general elections since I reached 21, but I have never voted before. Every election thus far has been a walkover in my GRC (which is kind of understandable since I’m in LKY’s Tanjong Pager GRC), so what good will lowering the voting age be if there’s no opposition to contest the elections?

I say there’s no point in lowering the voting age unless we get an opposition that doesn’t run away from the election. Until our opposition parties can duplicate what the Malaysian opposition parties did in their elections, that is to run in all the seats, don’t bother with lowering the age. It wouldn’t make a single difference.

No comments: