Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Did I Miss Something?

While speaking to1,500 students at the Nanyang Technological University, Singapore’s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said that the Singapore government would now review the government’s long-standing pro-foreigner policy.

In recent years, Singapore has accepted more than 100,000 foreigners per year into Singapore. Considering Singapore’s population, that is a ridiculous high numbers that maybe only countries in the Middle East can beat.

From blue collar to white collar, you will see foreigners working in Singapore in all types of work. For about a year or two, Singaporeans have voiced their disapproval at this foreign influx only to be routinely ignored by the Singapore government. Now that has changed as the PM said that “the nation cannot expect to continue booming as in the last few years”.

I must have miss something because I thought Singapore was in a recession for the past year. I thought Singapore was expected to have –10% growth this year. In fact, I thought Singapore was doing badly ever since the financial crisis hit the world a year ago. Where did this “the nation cannot expect to continue booming as in the last few years” come from?

I never heard of any lesser influx of foreign workers for the past year. Did I miss something?

Yup, sound like an upcoming election to me as well.

No comments: