Friday, March 26, 2010

Comics this week

Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time #1- Curiosity more than anything caused me to pick up this first issue. With all the books-to-comics adaptation, I guess it was a matter of time before Wheel of Time got the treatment. It’s always a joy to see characters given life and it was fun to see how the Rand, Mat & company looked like. Mostly in line with the books, except Lan who didn’t look anything like I envisioned, this issue was surprising good. A faithful adaptation of the first part of the first book, Eye of The World, I am surprised by the quality of the issue. The only problem I have is that you really have to be a fan of Wheel of Time to enjoy this issue. The issue actually starts a few years before the start of the book, then jump to a prologue during the breaking of the world by Lews Therin (which is also the prologue in the book), then back to when Rand Al’Thor first met the woman who would changed his life. The issue stops right there and I fear people who haven’t read the Wheel of Time may have a hard time understanding the issue. Gleeman, The Dragon, a Warder; the issue is packed with names and ideas that are not explained because there’s just not enough room. For me however, this was an enjoyable read.

No comments: