Thursday, December 23, 2010

Singapore is NOT a country!

How do you know that the PAP (People’s Action Party) is facing a tough fight in the next general election? When government ministers suddenly decided that Singapore is NOT a country but a city!

I read this article on Yahoo Singapore (dilemma-over-singapores-national-identity/), and while it’s amazing that our own ministers are saying that they are ministers of a non-country, let’s be honest on why they said such things. Foreigners!

With foreign workers and PRs flooding the country, foreign immigration is one of the most contentious issues in Singapore today. The Singapore government allows a lot of foreigners into the country…city…country…city…whatever, to bring down the cost for companies. Companies employed foreign workers instead of Singaporeans because they are cheaper and a majority of Singaporeans also believe that the influx of permanent residents buying property in Singapore is pricing citizens out of the market.

And if there are 2 things Singaporeans care about more than anything, it is jobs and housing. There is anger on these issues and, looking on the bright side, it seems the PAP know it. That's why our Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is talking about “The Singapore Spirit”, why our Law (and Home Affairs) Minister K. Shanmugam say Singapore is not a country, and why our Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew (the man behind Singaproe) said that Singapore was not a nation.

Seeing that this is Singapore and the PAP is always right in the country...uh city, this means Singapore is a city and is NOT a country! Now if only I can get my 2 years of National Service back...

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh, for HEAVEN'S SAKE! In my experience, semantics never solve problems. I deny your reality and subsitute one of my own? Please. Obviously the PR is more important than the actual issues to these leaders, what a shame. Good luck getting those two years back...I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Ghost said...

Frankly, I’m not holding my breath either. Here I thought I spent 2 years in an army uniform defending my country and now I have the ministers of my own country saying the country I was defending is NOT a country! If only I have a time machine…

BTW Natalie, Merry Christmas to you and your family!