Wednesday, June 29, 2011

No Business Like Show-business

In show-business, there is no such thing as bad publicity. In fact, sometimes bad publicity might be a good thing because a) it keeps you in the minds of the public and b) it may makes you more important than you really are.

Obviously, the authorities in Myanmar know nothing about show-business because they had just deported actress Michelle Yeoh. Best known for her roles in “Police Story 3”, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and “Tomorrow Never Dies”, Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh was in Myanmar to speak to pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi as she would be acting as the Nobel laureate in an upcoming film, “The Lady”. However upon arrival at Yangon's international airport, the actress was detained and then sent out of the country on the next flight.

The backers of “The Lady” need to send a thank you note to the authorities in Myanmar for giving free publicity to the film. “The Lady” is a love story about Ms. Suu Kyi and her late British husband Michael Aris that will be release in October and I had no plans of watching it. I mean it’s a love story for god sake, so I had no interest.

Then this happens and suddenly I think I might go watch the film. I mean for the government in Myanmar to deport a world famous actress, the film must have pushed a few buttons right? So I think I will go see it when it comes out just to see what the authorities in Myanmar are so sensitive about.

Like I said above; the backers of “The Lady” need to send a thank you note to the authorities in Myanmar for doing free publicity for the film.

No comments: