Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Change The Name

The “Overlord” games are a bit of a cult hit among gamers. Overlord and Overlord 2 never sold that many copies, but fans of the series love it to death. I am one of them.

So I was delighted when I read that Codemasters was making a new Overlord game. I just seen the trailer of the new game, Overlord: Fellowship of Evil, on Youtube and all I can say is…WTF is this?

Seriously, what was Codemasters thinking? The new game is nothing remotely like Overlord. It's a top-down game, features four heroes co-op gameplay, and looks more like Diablo than anything else. Just look at this screenshot; does it look anything remotely like an Overlord game?


Now I can understand a change in direction, this is after all the first Overlord game in over six years, but if you are going to change everything, then you should not call it Overlord. Called it “Fellowship of Evil” or whatever, just not Overlord. An Overlord game should have a great champion of evil going around destroying all the good in the world alongside his minions. An Overlord game should allow you to have an evil lair. An Overlord game should allow you to gather a harem of sexy wenches. All in great humour of course. That’s an Overlord game.

Overlord: Fellowship of Evil is not any of that. It looks like Diablo. I’m not against that, I played Diablo, but don’t call it Overlord. Give it a new title and say it is a game set in the world of the Overlord; fans will be okay with that. Just don’t put the Overlord name on it.

No comments: