Wednesday, August 4, 2010

National Unity!...right

In a poll held by the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS), the IPS reported that 2 out of 3 Singaporeans are worried about the numbers of foreigners in Singapore.

Nothing surprising there, but the ISP reported that the main reason for the response is because the respondents felt that national unity would be compromised by the presence of foreigners, regardless of whether the foreigners are here to stay or not.

Let me just say this; those Singaporeans were bullshitting.

I can understand the sentiments of Singaporean citizens who are worried about the numbers of foreigners in Singapore, but because of national unity? Somehow I just doubt that.

When I speak with follow Singaporeans and there are complains about foreigners here, national unity is NOT something that comes up. Jobs, housing prices, people who don’t speak the language, even accents they can’t understand; I heard them all. National unity? Never.

No comments: