Thursday, July 10, 2014

Not So Fast

With a 7-1 win over Brazil, everyone and their uncle are now betting that Germany will beat Argentina on Monday to win the World Cup. Like former England international Paul Parker said; only people with money to burn will bet against them.

So let me play the role I loved the most; I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate and say I like Argentina 's chances against Germany. I'm not saying this because they have the world's best player in Lionel Messi, but because I think their style suit that of Germany.

Before the World Cup, everyone (including me) say their defense was their biggest problem but credit has to be given to Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella. He was tightened things up enormously at the back by making his players closed the midfield. Javier Mascherano has been a one-man wrecking machine for them in the middle of the park and Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero, a reserve at Monaco, has been rock solid so far in this tournament.

Simply put, Argentina looks like a more solid defensive team than Brazil. In fact, they almost play like two teams; Lionel Messi and Gonzalo HiguaĆ­n upfront and the rest of the team focusing on defending. That may be perfect against Germany. Toni Kroos will not find the same space he did and it is unlikely they will find the acres of space on the right the way they did against Brazil.

Of course if Germany played the same way against Argentina like they did Brazil, they will win. However, will lighting strike twice? I'm not betting on it.

No comments: